Golden Nugget PA Online Casino
As of August 2023, the undisputed leader of the NJ online casino market is taking its business next door to Pennsylvania.
Golden Nugget was able to slip into the Pennsylvania market via a caveat that allowed out-of-state gaming entities a crack at any online gambling licenses that weren’t first scooped up by Pennsylvania’s land-based casinos. When it became apparent that there would be a few leftover licenses, Golden Nugget quickly threw its hat into the ring, forking over $8 million for the right to offer online slots and table games. The PGCB recognized Golden Nugget as a qualified gaming entity in January 2019, moving it closer to receiving a full license.
What this means for Pennsylvania gamblers, is that they have access to an online casino site that checks off just about all the boxes. From its mammoth year-long promotions, industry leading selection of games, array of fast and reliable payment methods, and Live Dealer offering, Golden Nugget has proven to be very much in touch with its player base. In addition, we’re talking about an operator that has over half-a-decade of experience in the legal U.S. iGaming sphere, meaning its PA operation shouldn’t fall victim to the early growing pains that other sites may experience.
In New Jersey, Golden Nugget online casino was able to overcome its small brand status to become market share leader. As it offers the same pioneering iGaming experience in Pennsylvania, considering that Pennsylvania is a more hostile regulatory environment for operators — it should be in line to do the same in the Keystone State.
What bonuses will Golden Nugget offer to new players?
Given the sheer amount of competition it faces in Pennsylvania, Golden Nugget has come out swinging with a rather aggressive welcome package for new players. In New Jersey, the best the site has offered is a $20 no-deposit bonus and a 100% match up to $1,000 on first deposits. Bonuses are subject to a 20x wagering requirement on most slots, and 100x on other games.
Golden Nugget offers the same $1000 bonus in PA. Given that other casinos got a head start, we may see Golden Nugget go all out to try to get a footing in this very competitive market. Only time will tell, but Golden Nugget is not number 1 in New Jersey by mistake – the same could be true of PA in the future.
What advantages will Golden Nugget have over the competition?
- Experience: From humble origins, Golden Nugget online casino gradually grew into the most popular online gambling site in New Jersey, and there it remains today. We expect Golden Nugget to leverage its experience in New Jersey, offering a product in Pennsylvania that will be highly attractive to those seeking gambling thrills.
- Game selection: In terms of sheer counts, Golden Nugget’s game selection will be second to none, offering what we suspect will be well over 500 titles at maturity. And the offering will be electric too, spanning slots, myriad table games, video poker, Live Dealer, and more.
- Product: Golden Nugget is partnered with SG Digital, which acquired online gaming platform provider NYX Gaming in 2016. Platforms powered by NYX Gaming account for a massive chunk of iGaming revenue in the Garden State, and for good reason: not only is it a world-class provider, but it easily allows for tons of gaming content to be seamlessly integrated onto its partners’ sites and mobile applications. Look for Golden Nugget to continue its partnerships with SG Digital in PA.
- Promotions: Golden Nugget offers an array of promotions. Several of these are targeted toward casual players; the rest at big players willing to throw money around for a shot at massive prizes, topping out at $60,000+.
The major hurdle Golden Nugget will face in Pennsylvania is that it’s not a well-known brand, with no attachments to a land-based casino within the Keystone State. That said, it isn’t exactly the first gaming brand that comes to mind among New Jersey gamblers either, yet its online casino has flourished.
Golden Nugget Online: Available platforms
Stability, ease-of-use, and account management tools: These are some of the most important features that players look for in their online casino sites, and they’re all dependent on the quality of the gaming platform. Golden Nugget is no stranger to knowing what players want in a platform and will serve up an offering that dishes out the goods in spades.
For players looking for a fully comprehensive experience, they’ll needn’t look further than the Golden Nugget PA desktop client. Golden Nugget offers a browser-based client, compatible with most modern browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla FireFox, Microsoft Edge, and Safari for Mac.
Not only will the desktop platform, powered by NYX Games (a subdivision of SG Digital), offer hundreds of searchable games, but it is ripe with functionality that allows players to easily access the cashier, check out their playing history, access their bonuses and promotions, and contact Golden Nugget’s multi-channel support team.
All the while, the software hums along nicely without any real hangups or server lag. In terms of stability, the Golden Nugget product is about as good as it gets as this quality has translated to the Pennsylvania iGaming market.
With more and more gamblers playing on the go, it would be downright foolish for an operator not to offer a mobile product right out of the gate.
The launch of Golden Nugget’s online casino coincided directly with a mobile counterpart, downloadable for both iOS (from the App Store) and Android (directly from the Golden Nugget online casino home webpage) powered devices.
In many ways the app mimics the desktop client, only instead of clicking with a mouse, players can tap and swipe with their finger. The only real drawback to playing on mobile is that they have fewer games, but we’re likely talking the difference between 400 and 500, with most slots and Live Dealer accounted for. Table games players that enjoy virtual games other than blackjack or roulette may be out of luck on mobile.
Game selection at Golden Nugget online casino
The best online casinos in Pennsylvania offer far more than just a smattering of old-fashioned slots. We’re talking more formats than you can shake a stick at, including progressive slots, video poker, blackjack, other table games, and Live Dealer.
Golden Nugget Casino has aggressively expanded its slot selection, now offering over 550 of the one-armed bandits. Expect history to repeat itself in Pennsylvania, with regular, Big Bet, and progressive slots in abundance. But just because Golden Nugget PA has a massive slot selection doesn’t mean that they won’t be particular about what lands on the site. No, instead, the very best slots from top providers such as NetEnt, IGT, Konami, NextGen, Barcrest, and much more are available.
Here is a sprinkling of the games you have at your availability:
- Divine Fortune
- Crazy Money II
- 88 Fortunes
- Raging Rhino
- Deal or No Deal Slingo
- Fu Dao Le
- Merlin’s Millions
Live Dealer, which juxtaposes the best elements of live and online play, has proven a boon for Golden Nugget. The online casino was the first in the state to go live with the format in August 2016, and has since seen it grow by leaps and bounds.
There are a few hurdles to keep in mind. Primarily, due to a recent reinterpretation of the Wire Act by the Department of Justice, Pennsylvania online casinos must now house their operations from completely within the state. What this means is that Golden Nugget will not have the option to stream Live Dealer games to Pennsylvania players from its Atlantic City-based studio.
And without a brick & mortar presence in the state, it seems very likely that Golden Nugget will have to partner with a PA casino that streams the games on-site. To date, no casino has announced plans to build a studio, so it’s seeming less and less likely that Live Dealer will be part of Golden Nugget PA’s launch product.
Still, down the road, we do expect Live Dealer games to flourish, especially at Golden Nugget, which will already have had years of experience with the format in conjunction with provider Ezugi. Expect the following Live Dealer games to appear on the site, once the format goes live:
- Blackjack (including the Bet Behind feature and Unlimited variations)
- Roulette (American, Multiview, Slingshot)
- Baccarat (Dragon Bonus)
Blackjack at Golden Nugget Casino
One thing land-based Pennsylvania casinos are known for is their stellar blackjack rules. 3:2 on naturals, double after split, double any two, stand on soft 17, surrender, even resplit aces — all these player-friendly rules can be found at live tables in Pennsylvania if one looks hard enough.
Considering the lowish tax rate on online table games, virtual blackjack playing conditions on Pennsylvania online casino sites are nearly as favorable to the player. Just learn the basic strategy — easily found online — and you’ll cut the house edge to 0.5% or less. What’s more, online blackjack games at Golden Nugget PA are available at the micro stakes, with $1 per hand minimums or less. So no more having to gamble upwards of $25 a pop on a hand, like you might have to do at Mount Airy or Parx Casino on the weekends.
Some blackjack variations you have available:
- Multihand Blackjack
- BlackJack by IGT
- BlackJack by NetEnt
- Atlantic City Blackjack (various stakes)
Golden Nugget has yet to offer single- or double-deck games, but that doesn’t mean they’re off the table in Pennsylvania, so to speak in the near future.
Pennsylvania players should be pleased to know that both American (double zero) and European (single zero) Roulette games are available at Golden Nugget PA. Also, the site supports a few niche variants like 3-Wheel Roulette and Double Bonus Spin Roulette that simply cannot be found at land-based casinos, in Pennsylvania or anywhere in the U.S.
Golden Nugget PA also supports a French Roulette game, much as it does in New Jersey. This single zero game returns half a player’s even money wager if the ball lands on the dreaded 0, making it the lowest house-edge variant of roulette around.
Other tables games
Traditionally, U.S. online casino sites do not offer as many niche table games as brick & mortar casinos, and truthfully, the Golden Nugget PA does not break that mold. There are some options, however, including:
- Let it Ride
- Three Card Poker
Other games that don’t fall neatly into one category should are also present on the site, like Slingo, Bingo, Steppers, and Virtual Sports, where players bet on simulated and digitally rendered racing and sporting contests.
As the market matures, it’s plausible even more game types will become available, particularly those popular internationally.
Proponents of skill-based games won’t have to look much further than Golden Nugget PA’s video poker selection, which is above average.
Golden Nugget Casino offers a variety of single- and multi-line games, including:
- Jacks or Better
- Bonus Poker
- Double Bonus Poker
- Double Double Bonus Poker
The aforementioned feature full or near full-pay tables for their single line variants, all returning 99% (with perfect play) or higher. Other games, like Deuces Wild and Joker Poker support decent, but not exceptional returns.
Golden Nugget PA also supports Destiny Poker, a clever video poker variant where players who miss those pesky flush draws are given a second (and third) chance to win some coins.
Golden Nugget Casino in Pennsylvania offers a similar library of video poker games as its companion site in New Jersey.
How will Golden Nugget’s player loyalty program work?
Golden Nugget is no stranger to loyalty programs, having rolled out a successful one.
Here’s how it works:
- All players that sign up for the site are immediately and automatically registered for the program, entitled Golden Rewards Club.
- Players earn Golden Points (we’re sensing a theme here) by playing any real-money game on the site, at a rate of 5 points per $100 wagered on slots, and 1 point per $100 wagered on other games. In New Jersey you also receive 1 point for every $100 wagered on sports.
- They’ll also earn points for making deposits (max once per day)
- Golden Points can be redeemed at a rate of 100 per $1, payable as cash (no turnover required).
Although there’s no reason not to take advantage of the program, we should note that the cashback rates are very low, almost negligible really. In order to earn $1 cashback, players will have to wager $2,000 on slots, which works out to 0.05% cashback. Table game players receive just 0.01%. These figures can be boosted by making regular deposits, but only marginally.
On a brighter note, anyone who earns 5,000 Golden Points lifetime will be entered into site’s VIP program. There, members will see a portion of their net deposits for the prior week refunded as bonus cash (pending certain conditions), and will also receive access to exclusive VIP promotions and enhanced customer service. Best part of the VIP program is that it’s good for life — no maintenance required.
Depositing and withdrawing at Golden Nugget PA
Players from PA should have little issue transferring money on and off Golden Nugget Casino.
Based on what Golden Nugget currently offers, here are your options:
- VIP Preferred: Link a bank account to your Golden Nugget account and deposit via eCheck (ACH)
- Play+ Prepaid Card: This prepaid card option allows players to load funds via a debit card or checking account. This option is probably the most player-friendly of the bunch, as it features very high success rates and $1 cashback on loads of $100+.
- PayPal: Hard to say if this option will be supported for deposits and withdrawals at launch, but probably eventually. PayPal is a popular eWallet, and boasts very high acceptance rates.
- Visa/MasterCard debit/credit cards: A convenient option, but one that is prone to high decline rates. Try it, but have a backup plan ready. Credit card deposits may be subject to cash advance fees from the issuing bank. Deposits only.
- PayNearMe: Good for those who prefer cash in hand transactions. Simply begin the transaction online and complete at any eligible CVS Pharmacy, 7-Eleven, or Family Dollar store.
- Online banking transfer: Features instant processing and an extra layer of security, as all transactions are conducted through your bank’s secure portal. However, your bank must support online bill pay in order to use this option. Deposits only.
- PayNearMe: Viable option for those who do not have a credit card or checking account. Once the transfer is completed funds will be immediately loaded, but this method does require players to visit a brick-and-mortar 7-Eleven.
Typically, online casinos also offer a cash at the casino cage option for deposits and withdrawals, but because Golden Nugget doesn’t have a brick & mortar presence in Pennsylvania, this option is off the table for now.
Golden Nugget Online support
Golden Nugget PA offers three channels of support, including:
- Live chat
- Email support
All three options are available 24/7, as Golden Nugget Casino is in the industry’s upper echelon with regard to customer support.
More about Golden Nugget Casino
Golden Nugget holds a prestigious rank as the online market leader in neighboring New Jersey. In addition to the highest revenues, the site boasts the largest game library of any online casino in the U.S. The operator runs a modestly successful brick-and-mortar casino in Atlantic City, where it happens to host Live Dealer games in a studio on the casino floor with partner Ezugi (providing gameplay for multiple competitors, but still offering the largest selection solely on its own site).
Most recently the NJ site has also expanded into online sports betting, an option it won’t currently be able to offer in PA unless it can arrange a completely separate license to do so. However, at this time the PGCB has not indicated that it will allow such licenses for outside operators in the same way as casino gaming (if any should even still be available in the future).
The biggest hurdle Golden Nugget online casino will face in the Pennsylvania market is its lack of a brick & mortar companion. It’s not a major deterrent, as Golden Nugget’s online and retail customers generally come from two different stocks, but it will prevent the operator from hosting its own Live Dealer studio, like it does in New Jersey. It’ll also hinder the operator’s ability to cross-promote. Not to mention, PA residents may initially take to their local brands, not some outsider.
All that said, Golden Nugget is the market leader in NJ for a reason, and it has little to do with brand recognition. Instead, it provides a vastly above par product, complemented by strong promotions and a solid marketing initiative. If it stays true to the core principles that led to its success in New Jersey, we envision the operator replicating its success in Pennsylvania upon its recent launch.
In short, Golden Nugget Casino PA is a site players should want to add to their checklist.