While casino games are sometimes an awkward fit on mobile screens, sports betting is nearly perfectly suited for smartphones and tablets. In Pennsylvania, venues licensed to offer sports wagering are permitted to offer one online website/mobile app each.
Below we break down everything you need to know about PA mobile sportsbooks, so you can start placing bets on your favorite teams in the time it takes to send a text message.
Top PA sports betting apps 2023
List of PA mobile sportsbook apps
Here’s a look at all PA sportsbooks currently offering mobile apps in the state.
PA Sportsbook Apps Licensing Casino Tech Launched
BetRivers Sportsbook Rivers Casino Pittsburgh Kambi June 27, 2019
betPARX Parx Casino PlayTech June 27, 2019
FanDuel Sportsbook Valley Forge IGT/GAN July 22, 2019
FOX Bet Sportsbook Mount Airy Stars Group Sept. 4, 2019
DraftKings Sportsbook Hollywood Casino at the Meadows SBTech Nov. 4, 2019
Unibet Sportsbook Mohegan Sun Kambi Nov. 13, 2019
BetMGM Sportsbook Hollywood Casino Morgantown GVC Holdings Dec. 17, 2020
Sportsbook at Wind Creek (Betfred Sportsbook) Wind Creek Casino Betfred Dec. 23, 2020
Betway Sportsbook Live! Casino Philadelphia GAN Jun. 28, 2021
PointsBet Sportsbook Hollywood Casino York PointsBet Feb. 7, 2022
SugarHouse Sportsbook Rivers Casino Philadelphia Kambi May 31, 2019
Barstool Sportsbook Hollywood Casino Kambi Sept. 15, 2020
Caesars Sportsbook Harrah’s Philadelphia Scientific Games March 10, 2020
Advantages of sportsbook apps
- Speed and convenience: Why drive out to a casino and wait in line at a teller window to place a bet when you can simply whip out your phone and wager wherever you have an Internet connection? While there are perks to lounging with your buddies at a land-based book, when it comes to convenience, mobile wagering just can’t be matched.
- In-play betting: Without online and mobile apps, taking advantage of in-play bets, or bets which are only valid for quick one-off plays, are virtually impossible. There just isn’t enough time to take advantage of these short-term bets when forced to wait in line at a betting counter or kiosk. Mobile apps, however, are perfectly suited to display these types of wagers in real time, allowing users to pull the trigger instantly.
- Welcome bonuses: Nearly all online and mobile sportsbooks offer new players incentives for signing up and depositing in the form of a welcome package. These can include deposit bonuses, free bets and even free money just for signing up an account. Brick-and-mortar sportsbooks, on the other hand, don’t usually offer these type of monetary rewards for new players.
- Bet at the game, or roam free: With mobile betting, players can bet anywhere inside the state. This is perfect for those that don’t live near a brick-and-mortar casino with a sportsbook. It also allows gamblers taking in a game at, say, Lincoln Field or Wells Fargo Center, to spice up the experience by placing a bet while watching the action live.
- Bargain hunting: In addition to all the welcome bonuses and promotions offered on mobile wagering apps, players will have the opportunity to readily access the best odds. Don’t love the line on the Philadelphia Eagles at one book? Quickly flip to another app in search of better pricing. This simply isn’t possible at retail outlets, where visitors will have one pricing option.
Disadvantages of mobile sports betting
- Missing the sportsbook experience: With their panels of huge TV screens, comfy seating and fully stocked bars, many PA sportsbooks are quite luxurious, and provide the perfect atmosphere to kick back and watch sports with your friends, while placing a bet or two. Gambling on your mobile, for some, just isn’t as fun as lounging in a casino sportsbook, where dozens of games can be viewed simultaneously.
- Less privacy: Betting online or on a mobile device will require you to enter your personal details, whereas most casinos will allow players to make smaller wagers with no ID. While any data sent to an online sportsbook is kept in highly secure, encrypted databases, some gamblers may prefer not to create online accounts and avoid having their personal information stored.
- Some tech knowledge required: Some players just aren’t very familiar with computers, smartphones or technology in general, and may prefer to place their bets the old-fashioned way — in person. While the process of downloading and wagering on a betting app is relatively straightforward, some may not find it to be such a simple process.
Breakdown of our top sports betting apps
BetRivers Mobile Sportsbook
- Mobile Apps: Android and iOS (sort of)
- Mobile Tech Partner: Kambi
- BetRivers Sportsbook Bonus Code & Review
BetRivers mobile sportsbook is available via Android app and on iOS devices via the Safari browser. To make bets on iOS devices with the Safari browser, you will need to download the GeoGuard app for location purposes, but that only takes a few moments to set up and details on how to do this can be found here.
BetRivers’ site was built by Kambi, one of the biggest names in online gambling. BetRivers is known for its generous iRewards program, that rewards players with iRP (iRewardsPoints) that can be cashed in for perks including free spins, Rivers swag and of course, bonus money that only has 1x rollover. The slide out menus keep the app uncluttered and give easy access to the live betting options. Whether you are new to sports betting, or a seasoned veteran, BetRivers has something for everyone.
FanDuel Mobile Sportsbook
- Mobile Apps: Android and iOS
- Mobile Tech Partners: GAN/ IGT
- FanDuel Sportsbook Bonus Code & Review
FanDuel’s app is chock full of promotional offers with the site consistently offering the best betting lines in the industry. FanDuel’s mobile app is easy to navigate, aesthetically pleasing, and offers a ton of betting options, especially when it comes to ingame betting.
FanDuel was the first mobile app in Pennsylvania that was available for both iOS and Android-powered devices. Not only does their shared wallet carry over to their online casino, but it is the only app that allows you to carry your balance across state lines.
That means if you head to the Jersey Shore for Memorial Day, there is no need to download a second app or make any new deposits. The app has had some crashing issues, and this is the only reason its not rated higher. Aside from the occasional crashes, FanDuel’s mobile app may be a perfect mobile sportsbook for both beginners and the seasoned vets.
How to download PA mobile sportsbook apps
While iOS availability varies from site to site, Android apps are available for every mobile sportsbook. However, they are not available in the Google Play store, and some sites require a work around to use their mobile sportsbook in the Safari browser on iPhones and iPad.
For most of the sites, once you click on one of the links on the page, you will be taken to the App store and download directly from there, but make sure that you are downloading the app for the right state. While FanDuel and DraftKings use one app for all available states, FOX Bet, Caesars, Unibet and Parx use a different app for each state.
For BetRivers, you need to download an app called GeoGuard that allows the operator to verify your location while placing bets on your iPhone or iPad’s Safari browser. Once you download the app, you will be brought to a screen that says “just 2 fast steps and you’re ready to go.” Click “Let’s Start” and accept the popup for GeoGuard to use your location while using the app. Once you do this, you are all set up to start betting from your Safari Browser. It’s that easy!
For Android users, the process is much simpler. Just click through any of the links on this page, and you will be taken directly to the online sportsbook. Once there, some sites will have you register on the browser, and once the process is complete, you can download the mobile app directly from the site. Other sites will have you download the mobile sportsbook first and the whole registration process will be done on the app. Either way, the process is quick and easy. Just follow the directions on the online sportsbook site, and you will be betting in no time.
How your location is verified on mobile betting apps
Location tracking is a pillar of the U.S. online sports betting market. Simply put, if the sports betting operator can’t verify that you’re in Pennsylvania, you can’t make a bet. Thankfully this requirement is easily satisfied with mobile apps and is another major feather in their cap.
All modern iOS and Android devices come with built-in GPS chips. When you load up a Pennsylvania online sports betting app, it will request that you grant it access to your location services so that it can use that GPS chip. After giving approval, the app can confirm your whereabouts and you’ll be able to place a bet, assuming you’re within the state.
If you’re using a computer you’ll be required to download and install a separate geolocation plugin to prove where you are. It’s a little more involved than on a mobile device, but still pretty easy and straight forward.
While GPS tracking is typically very accurate, if you’re driving across a border we’d recommend giving it a little bit of berth before placing your bet.
Frequently asked questions
The first online sportsbook to go live in PA was PlaySugarHouse online sportsbook on May 31, 2019.
PA casinos have made their mobile sportsbooks available for devices running iOS and Android software. The iOS platform is utilized in Apple products like iPhones, iPod touches, and iPad tablets; Android was created by Google, and comes stock inside a huge array of smartphones and tablets made by a variety of hardware makers.
Players can bet on the major U.S. and international sports leagues, along with golf, college football and global soccer events. In the future, books may add betting on non-sporting events such as the outcome of the Oscars, for example, if approved by the state Gaming Control Board. The sky’s the limit.
The same bet types available at online sites and live books (and likely a few more) are available on mobile apps. That includes, but is not limited to the following:
- In-game wagers
- Prop bets
- Straight wagers
- Round robins
Yes, most definitely. It doesn’t matter if you sign up for your account online via desktop computer or through your mobile device, you will receive any bonus packages available, so long as you follow the instructions laid out on this site or on the casino’s own website or app.
Sportsbooks have even been known to sweeten the pot for mobile gamblers by offering special bonuses which can only be won through smartphones or tablets.
Players may only make real money bets if they are physically inside the state of Pennsylvania. Even if a player is a PA resident, they will no longer be able to bet once they cross over the border outside of the Commonwealth.
Patrons can, however, create an account and make a deposit into their account in preparation for a time when they will be inside the state. Most, if not all, operators allow out-of-state users to view odds at any time as well. This includes visitors and nonresidents, who could even enter the state just for a short period of time to place their bets, then quickly leave. The bettor does not need to be inside Pennsylvania in order to have their winnings paid to their player account.
Modern mobile devices are equipped with GPS technology, which can send data about a player’s location to the app in order to verify that they are indeed inside the Keystone State. This technology is extremely accurate and can detect a user’s location within a few feet.
Some casinos, like BetRivers and Unibet create a one-stop shop with their software, allowing players to bet on sports and play casino games right on the same app. Therefore, players can use their sportsbook bankroll to play slots and table games, or vice versa. Other operators prefer to separate the different game types, which can also include poker, into several different apps. This is wholly dependent on the preference of each individual property.
Most PA online sports betting apps are extremely robust and allow players to do everything on the app that they could do through a website. That includes making deposits and withdrawals, checking your balance, updating your personal information, opting into responsible gaming measures, and more. Therefore, if you don’t have or want to use a desktop computer for your sports betting activities, you won’t need to.